Saturday, December 10, 2011

Absent

You may have noticed (or not) that I have been very absent from my blog lately. A very large reason for that would be this...

I have been trying to nurse my two boys back to health for almost two weeks now. Both boys got sick the Tuesday after Thanksgiving and have been sick ever since. They had 100+ degree fevers for 4 days, Eli's peaked at 104+ that Friday, before I took them into urgent care late Friday night along with awful coughs and nasty gunk coming out of their eyes. I hardly ever take my kids in when they are sick, or myself for that matter. Things have to be really bad for me to go to the doctor, and I'm not a huge fan of narcotics, but I knew my children needed something. They both were so sick that I had to help them sit up to take sips of water, neither one of them wanted to eat a thing, and all they did was sleep. Honestly, they looked like the walking lying down dead, just, you know, alive. It was awful.

I took the kids to the hospital in Moose Lake where the urgent care unit was and the nurse and doctor looked them over. The kids pretty much just laid on the table or in our arms and let the doctor do whatever he needed to do. Eli was a little less cooperative at times but still, they were obviously sick. That and they both had pale white skin, little red dots on their cheeks, obvious black circles under their eyes and their eyes were pink and puffy. The doctor looked them over and then told me he really had no idea what was wrong with them. Of course, in different, more doctor like words then that. He said that if their fevers weren't gone in another 3 days I could give them this prescription and hopefully it would knock out whatever the heck it was that they had.

I was not happy.

I took the kids home and put them to bed. The next day I wanted to take them into a different urgent care but it got to the point that if I took my kids in, it would 'wipe them out' and make them worse and who knew if another doctor would say something different, or I could stay home and they could rest and sleep and be far less miserable then if we went out.

To make a long story short, I didn't take the kids back into a doctor because they started to show signs that they were slowly getting better. The first day they actually smiled and were semi their normal selves was the next Tuesday, but neither, especially Eli was 100% better. Throughout the week I monitored both of them closely and Gabriel got better daily and now, he's almost completely back to his normal self. Eli on the other hand I'm still worried about. I thought he was getting better but his awful cough has persisted and suddenly his fever came back. And, odd for him at least, he won't sleep! Eli normally takes very long naps, sometimes more then one, every day. And the last few days he's so tired but he just can't sleep. I feel so bad for him! I went and filled the prescription that the doctor gave me the week before and now we're giving that a couple of days to see if it works.

It's been some really long days (and weeks!) around here. Also, in the midst of all of this I got sick myself and I started a part time job as a waitress at the Lazy Moose in Moose Lake. And, to top all of that off, it's getting down to the last few weeks of school, which means lots of papers and assignments are due. Today is my first 'day off' in what feels like forever because I don't work AND all my homework is done for the week. Alas, there is laundry and cleaning to do and Eli is still sick, but it still feels like a day off to this lady :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Drop a note to say 'Hello' or whatever else you want to say! Love hearing from you!!!